Sunday, December 27, 2015

Waving Goodbye 08: Time EnoughTo Cry

I’d heard the band might be able to get a gig at the Elysian Towers downtown.  Do you know it?  It’s kind of a beat-looking traveller’s hotel, there was a big fire but then they rebuilt it.  It was mid-September when I went down there, you know how it never gets too cool here in the autumn, and the sidewalk was covered with crumpled leaves.  No pretty autumn colors, just brown.  Out front there was a cop, or security, I’m not sure what he was supposed to be, but he was holding a flaming sword and smoking a doobie and it scared the crap out of me.  In the lobby, everyone is dressed in white, looking like they were ready to be put in the ground. I say to the guy at the desk, trying to be pleasant, “I hear you book bands?”  “Well,” he said, “the winter’s kind of a dead time.  The boss doesn’t really book bands, her daughter does most of the booking, and she goes away in the winter.  In fact she just left, today I guess, I didn’t even see her leave.  The boss is upstairs, but there’s really no point in going up. I don’t think she’ll see you.  She always says, what’s the point of music in the winter, most people just come here to crash then.  She always says she doesn’t miss her daughter, but you can see she does.  If you ask her, she just says, there’s always time enough to cry. Plenty of time for that.”   We never did get the gig.



Time Enough To Cry lyrics


No comments: