Sunday, December 27, 2015

Waving Goodbye 02: At the End of the World

I knew it was a mistake to get off the bus here, but it was dark and I was lost. I thought, well this would be as good as place as any but basically it isn’t. It’s not as good any, not by a long shot. I know now I got off at the wrong place and now I can’t get home.  I don’t know what I was thinking. There’s a bus that comes by like once a week at some crazy time, Wednesday at 3:17 or something, nobody seems to know.  I keep thinking I’ll be there when it comes by but then I keep missing it, I don’t even know how I manage to waste so much time, but I look up and realize I’ve missed it, it won’t be by again for who knows when, another week or something, I don’t even know.

One day I thought I heard someone say when the bus would be coming, and where it would stop, so I went there in the morning and I waited. Did nothing but wait all day.  Finally, incredibly, after I don’t even know how long, forever, here it comes, and I grab my stuff and get on, and the bus driver says, “That’ll be $6.75 back in to town, sir” and I try to give him a ten, I don’t care, and he says, “Sorry my friend, exact change only.  You don’t have anything smaller?  Don’t worry, get some change and I’ll be back,” and he waved, and pulled away and I just felt like crying.  And I’m still here, I guess I’ll spend the rest of my life right here, here at the end of the world.

No comments: