Thursday, February 04, 2010

Today's Verse: 4 February 2010

Trust has a price in the marketplace
But it doesn't in my heart
In the marketplace
You buy a man
Measure him in hours
Everything he may comprise
All that may within him lie
His breath, his come, his blood, his bile
Belong to you a little while
In the marketplace
You buy the guy
You've got him by the hour
Together you're an enterprise
Together a transaction
Aspire to what you've bargained for
You may get satisfaction
In the marketplace
You stand to gain
Or lose or come out even
You think you know the risks you take
You think that you can choose them
I wasn't there when Jesus died
I didn't watch him suffer
That was for free I understand
As was the final supper
In the marketplace
I bought a man
To serve me and to labor
Soon after that I felt I'd slid
Adrift in lassitude, and savoured
Reason come undone and all asunder
My mind became a fragile pane
Of clear transparent wonder
Everybody's out to lunch
The matron has absconded
I don't recall what was agreed
The terms and the conditions
I've lost the contract and the man
Who told me what was in it
And now I find me face to face
With commitments I've engaged in
But can't determine which was me
And which was him
And what makes up the difference
Instants aren't mathematical
Passion doesn't speak in hours
While I burgeon and hallucinate
Exploding like a flower
Passion's lessons you can't teach
Trust must play its part
Which has a price in the marketplace
But it doesn't in my heart

2 comments:

JimPreston said...

Priceless!

JimPreston said...

unless I am missing the point.