Thursday, February 25, 2010

Anecdote, Feb. 25, 2010

In Texas, at least during the period from the 1960's to the 1980's, and evidently before that, there was a rather strange and subtle importance placed on personal appearance and style. Naturally, in such a culture, wakes and other remembrances of newly deceased persons were held with open caskets. I remember being warned by my parents before my grandmother's wake, that everyone would talk about how good she looked, and, unsurprisingly, 'good-looking as ever' was one of the most common comments that I heard at the event. At the time, in Denton, there were no bars, only private clubs, but I was able to buy a one-day membership at a place near the funeral home to get away for a while. I drove her green Oldsmobile out of Texas. It was a very nice car. On a good day you could almost drive it with your eyes closed. I wouldn't recommend it, but some have tried.

No comments: