Sunday, January 31, 2010

Anecdote, Jna. 31, 2010

It must have been about 1964, when a man who was some sort of uncle from my mother's side of the family pulled up in front of the house in Berkeley in an old station wagon full of stuff with an ultra-modern fold-up bike stuffed against the back window. He said, "When I see boys like you, I always give them a hug!" and he gave me a nice hug. He was short and stocky and somewhere between Jewish and Irish. I don't believe he even stayed the night. I said to myself when I met him, "well, there's an option."

1 comment:

JimPreston said...

These thoughts are fleeting, but now that I remember it, he was dropping off a box of china from one of my great-grandmothers, either from Iowa or Massachusetts. I will have to ask my mother, who knows all. I'll scan a plate if I get a chance. He did not stay the night. My mother will have the name. So sorry for the premature posting. I lost track of the thought during the composition, and then came back to it later. Have you ever seen 'Donald in Mathemagick's Land' ?.

But if there is to be peace,
then I would wish to
Be the Peace,

jlp