Monday, July 02, 2007

The new Nick Lowe “At My Age” is out and highly recommended. I liked “The Impossible Bird” from the late 90s more than I’ve liked anything of his since Rockpile days, and I liked the two after (“Dig My Mood” and “The Convincer”) even more. The new one doesn’t perhaps get me off quite as much as those two, but is still excellent in very much the same vein. It’s funny that Mister “Bash it out in the studio and we’ll tart it up in the mix” now makes such beautiful-sounding, cleverly-produced albums, or maybe it isn’t.

While idling through my new home on My Space I found an Ivor Cutler page which, sadly is not managed by Mr Cutler himself as he died in March of last year. Delightful to see his face and hear his voice and disappointing to know he’s gone: this is the site.

2 comments:

Bud said...

I like it too. Nobody sounds as good a loser. "So what?"
He's also a favourite of the family's: there's a nice box called "The Doings" which is well-played. Goes through Impossible Bird. Has some nice rare things, like I Knew the Bride from Live Stiffs, and some live stuff from the Impossible Bird time. Also it's nice to have some of the early things from LPs I never bought: my especial favourite "Raging Eyes".

J Blood said...

There's a siingle from the late 70s on the Stiff boxed set called "I Love My Label" I like a lot. I'd also love to hear some of those Paca basement favorites again, like "Shake that Rat" and "Pogo Dancin'"

I was looking for my "Pure Pop for Now People" LP to contrast the Then & Now Nick Lowe looks and was disturbed not to find it where it belongs, next to Darlene Love. Good thing "Marie Provost" is on the afore-mentioned Stiff box.