Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Times They Are A'Changing

How do you like the new Bryan Ferry "Dylanesque"? I was a little surprised after the last one, "Frantic"(I think), at the 70s, pre-Roxy (as if Roxy never existed) rock lite approach. But, as with all Ferry albums I have, it becomes more endearing with every listen. I especially like the castanets on "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" (a nod to Juarez perhaps). It would be nice and ironic if this CD becomes popular and Ferry's career dims to twilight bathed in a soft warm glow of adoration for his easy listening interpretations of his Bob-ness' "visions". Of course, Bryan's always been a sucker for Bob, but never so straight-forward pop in his takes as on this outing. I suspect that this one too will miss the boat with the mass market, but will nevertheless end up signalling mood in countless romantic comedy and relationship movies to come.

1 comment:

J Blood said...

Funny, I was just about to post how the spirit of Creagh Shawe came over me last night and I bought an import vinyl copy of the album. The very idea smacks a bit of late-career laziness, though I'm glad he didn't do another album of standards. I loved the cleaner, slightly rocked-up sound of "Frenzy" as a break from the whooshy sound he's been working since "Avalon", but I was hoping for a little more song-by-song variety on the new one. And what's the point of having Eno on a Bryan Ferry album if you can't even hear him?

"Simple Twist of Fate" works best (on one night's listening) as a Bryan Ferry song, and I liked "Knocking on Heaven's Door" too. "All I Really Want to Do", very nice. But I don't know why he snoozes through "Positively 4th Street"; I expected better of him.