Monday, March 20, 2006

More asparagus

I've been reading Tender Buttons and thinking about asparagus some more, and there's so much to say that I'm not ready to say it yet. It seems clear that GS did care about asparagus, since the very last sentence of Tender Buttons is, "The care with which there is incredible justice and likeness, all this makes a magnificent asparagus, and also a fountain" and remember in the section Stephen quoted she said, "Asparagus in a lean in a lean to hot. This makes it art and it is wet wet weather wet weather wet" so the care makes asparagus and the asparagus makes it art, it doesn't have to be asparagus but if you eat asparagus you can see that it's true, that the care makes asparagus and the asparagus makes it art, and it is wet wet weather wet weather wet and whether it is wet weather or it is really a fountain, anyway there is a lot to say about asparagus.

But I haven't just been thinking about asparagus, I've been eating it too. I saw a picture of an asparagus quiche and so I made one Saturday. It was in fact the first quiche I've ever made, since I spent the 70s in Ohio and the early 80s apprenticing under Chef James L. Preston, who for all his food-as-performance ways never made quiche, and by the time I was back in the United States nobody made quiche any more so I never bothered to learn. But mine this weekend was very nice, I'm not very good at fluting the crust, but I made it with smoked Gouda and a little ground chipotle so that it had a faint but delightfully misleading smell of bacon. And now it's cold and raining again, wet wet weather wet weather wet indeed.

No comments: