Friday, September 06, 2013

Christmas Special: The Christmas I Don't Remember


Cups of mulled wine, fresh eggnog
The roaring flame of the Yule-tide log
The smoky smell of smoldering embers
None of this do I remember

Sister's chased by her new beau
Until, beneath the mistletoe
Kisses are offered in surrender
None of this do I remember

Wassail bowl and Christmas toasts
Whelkins, oysters, pheasant, chickens
Leg of mutton, goose and roasts
A feast right out of Charles Dickens

The Parson makes a pious face
And says a most distinguished grace
"For thy gifts that thou dost tender…"
It must have hapenned--can't remember


We trudge through snow with our ice skates
To play Crack the Whip on the frozen lake
Some beautiful day in late December
Sorry, no, I don't remember

The snowmen all in family poses
Coal for eyes and carrot noses
Papa's hat, to distinguish gender
Sounds like fun. I don't remember

Mother boiling home-made candy
That she puts in silver wrappers
Raisins pulled from flaming brandy
Snapdragons and Christmas crackers

Father holds the baby high
To place the star and glorify
Our Christmas tree in all its splendor
None if this do I remember.

No comments: