Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ash Wenesday

I wake up in a stranger’s bed
With unsure stomach and empty head
No more feathers, beads or masks
Mardi Gras is gone and past
What I remember’s kind of rotten
And I’m not sure what I’ve forgotten
So I’m left to wonder when
These dead bones will rise again
I hear the church bell far away
Oh boy, oh boy, it’s Ash Wednesday

I find my pants after a search
And try to make my way to church
I go inside, sit by the aisle
It’s quite a show but I can’t smile
The priest just puts a little ash
On my forehead—another mask
It makes me look like I’ve repented
Almost as if I really meant it
Another role, another play
Oh boy oh boy it’s Ash Wednesday

Now and in my hour of death
Be with me till my last breath
Don’t treat with complete disgust
My stupid drunkenness and lust
I’m still hoping for the best
That by some grace I may be blessed
I believe it ‘cause I must.
“Remember man that thou art dust”
So I am sent on my way
Oh boy oh, it’s Ash Wednesday

1 comment:

Bud said...

I like it!