Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Papa just laughed

Greetings from Vandoeuvres, a stone's throw from the golf course in Cologny. Had the great pleasure yesterday of re-listening to some old Fast Fun tapes that Mary and John have kept. Remember the "Christmas tape" of 1984? Listened to it after lunch at the Auberge de la Ferme. The smell and feel of our mouldy, damp recording facility on the Rue des Alpes (?) by the gare in Lausanne was recalled in full force. Of course, it sounds better than we thought. Mira compared it favourably to demo tapes of some her current favourite bands. And of course, "it sounds like the Velvet Underground", especially Jim's singing and Jesus in general. Also played a pre-demo demo with 3 versions of Reagan on it. Jai was able to discern a preference for the first, "better but less musical" version. Myself, I still get a warm chuckle from that tune. And am still a sucker for "Big House" with full synth flourishes by J Blood, and the ecstatic fury of Waving and Maybe I Will. Ah well, les neiges d'antan or something like that. Gran'pa? Yes, Jimmy ....

6 comments:

J Blood said...

I haven't heard the Christmas 84 tape in a long time but as I recall it has "Worked in a factory but not worked exactly" with the "It's in his kiss riff"; Professor Brunner's Explication of the Rights of Animals and (if memory serves) Jesus ending with a sneeze.

Jim, please convey seasonal greetings to your family and to Stephen, and my very best to Gabriel. I want a Grandpa Christmas every year.

JimPreston said...

Good happiness to all!!
I hope I can be better next year.
jlp

J Blood said...

Oh hey and didn't the Christmas tape have our ode to Mr. T, "Is He Really That Tough"?

Bud said...

indeed it does

J Blood said...

Maybe you cna remind me, because I'm not sure if the matter was ever resolved: does he oom-pah-pa-doo?

JimPreston said...

I think it was 'doo-woppa-do', but then again, my memory is not exactly hot off the wire.

Interestingly, it is about 80 degrees (F) in DC today as my friends get on the plane for Alaska. I will be staying home to worry and fret.

Torture simulation on Friday!!
Just waterboarding, nobody else is very interested in a little nasal-gastric tube insertion hobby. If you see Mr. T, you might want to ask him.
Is he really THAT tough?