Saturday, June 09, 2007

Today's Verse: 9 June 2007

Why do legions flee
Priceless liberty
Turning back, tail, tide
Up down out inside
Off or on or twilight dim
In between
Im between
I said as a child
And still say to myself
What's the difference
In these states
These tender, fearsome
Loves and hates
Can't have all
Or none
But go and come
In and out
Off and on
Intermittent
Permancence
I doubt that's how Napoleon thought
Ever
Or Phillip the Second, but maybe Caesar
Or Alcibiades
The sensuous, the traitrous
Expedient kind of monster
Who really scares being so desirous
So enchanting
Virile and bewitching
Who watches these movies anyway
The way they go on
Through tortuous variations
On the five standard plots
Stumbling through a tedious sequence
Of binary choices
That lead through tears and gasps
To the end
Expulsion
Exhaustion
Befuddlement
Cessation
Is that what Jesus Christ died for
God no
God knows
I give up
Gave up
Never give up
Never surrendered
What difference does it make
What I did yesterday
It's today that counts
Seize the day
Make a choice
Live your life
Be yourself
Be somebody else
Be somebody bad
Love somebody bad
Love your bad self
On TV
Share I mean
Spread it around
Give it up
But don't give it away
All these instructions
Are getting me down
Why can't life be as simple
As a good crap
Or pissing in a field
That's probably what Napoleon thought
When he spoke with Josephine
Or rather suffered her relentless
Prattle
And she was thinking of his shoulder
Or his arm or the cleft beneath
His adam's apple
Or a recipe for mayhem
Or murder
Or his best friend and where are you now
Jesus Christ I never bargained for this

6 comments:

JimPreston said...

Nicely done, although I'm not sure that the idea of a "bargain" at the end makes complete sense to me. I might say:
Jesus Christ, what does this baby want for its birthday?

Bud said...

That is nice.
When do you leave for Alaska? I'll be in Boston next week and I see that Dan Hicks is in concert on West Street in Annapolis the week of the 25th. Thought you and Ellen and Anne and Jessie might want to go. Any chance?

JimPreston said...

I'm coming back late on the 24th. Unlikely I will be very awake on the 25th. How long will you be in Boston?

Bud said...

The concert's on the 27th, Wednesday. I've bought four tickets (a little table by the stage)on the internet. It would be great if Ellen can join us too, and anyone else. Unfortunately there's a 21 year old age limit so I'm afraid we'd have to sneak Annie in. I'm not sure what are your feelings about that. Let me know how best to reach you around the 25th/26th. Oh yeah, can I crash at your place after the show?
Anyone else from the bar want to drop by?

J Blood said...

I have to be at work the next day. Where is he playing? The Baby Needs?

JimPreston said...

Sounds great. We will fill the four seats without difficulty. I am always available at 301-675-0729 and at jim_l_preston at yahoo.com. You can definitely stay at my house. Will you fly down from Boston? If you fly into national airport (DCA), or take the train to Union Station then we can meet up easily to get to Annapolis.