Tuesday, June 13, 2006

22 Year Itch

I finally had the chance to talk to Thurston Moore, something I’ve wanted to do ever since I found out he lives in Northampton. I’ve had a longstanding grudge against Sonic Youth because they left during our set when we opened for them in Geneva. But I do like their music, and see them when they play locally, which they are good enough to do fairly often. Friday, Thurston played a solo gig at a local gallery, then a noise duo with a guy who calls himself Gown. So I went up to him and said "You know we met over 20 years ago." He said he recognized me. I thought that was strange - but maybe he says that to everyone he doesn’t know. We chatted about Northampton, then I brought up the Geneva concert again, and could see the lights go on in his head. He realized this had actually happened, but didn't quite remember it. Since I couldn’t really needle him about something he didn’t remember, I told him I'm available if he needs a drummer for these local gigs. And next time I see him I’ll get him for pretending to recognize me. In another 22 years.

1 comment:

J Blood said...

Not only did they not stay to hear us play, Thurston found me SO uncool that he all but turned his back on me while I was talking. Do you remember Kim at the sound check? "Kim, honey, sing into the mike." "Mmmmmmblemmmle". "Kim honey a little louder." "Mmnnumnimnmm." "No, Kim.like you're actually going to be singing." "Mmmnimumumm". But I like the band too, at least through 1989 when I stopped listening to them.