Monday, April 22, 2019

Flag Half Mast 3: Angry White Male

Once upon a time, and it wasn’t that long ago, I was king of this town and everybody knew it.  I could do whatever I wanted, I could shit on this place if I wanted to, because I was king.  Listen, I could get on any city bus and snap my fingers and someone would give me a seat, because they knew they had to.  Me and the guys, we’d do a couple of lines of itching power and Kaopectate and go out to the dance clubs and just beat our heads to the stupidest music you imagine, I mean it was really dumb, but no one could say a thing. And people couldn’t see us, they couldn’t hear our music, but also they had to see us, they had to hear the music, because we were so angry and the music was so dumb. So dumb and so loud.

Now everybody tells me, just stand in line, go suck your thumb, wait your turn. I should be able to grab whatever I want to, and they say just listen to Mother, we’ll get everything straightened out. I’ve been waiting my whole life.  How many people have better things than me, they’re not better than me, and they didn’t even wait their turn and the best anyone can come up with is be patient, listen to the grown-ups, things’ll get better if we all follow the rules. If we all follow their rules, that’s all they mean.  It’s just like everything these days: society tells you what to care about, what to think.

I remember those beautiful boys in their uniforms, and those coked-up swastika girls, they had bad perms and wore braces, but they were the most beautiful girls anyone had ever seen. They dressed up like Nazis but they weren’t really Nazis, they weren’t going to kill anyone, but they could, that’s the thing. They were beautiful and powerful and they could do whatever they wanted. If someone told us it was bad, if your mom and dad hated it, then we wanted it, we would do it and no one could stop us. But nowadays the girls—I don’t know what happened, but all the girls I used to know are fat now, and they talk too much and the girls who do matter, the ones who should be listening to me now, they don’t care.  It’s not like it used to be, things have changed, but I’m still the same. I’m still pissed off.  You can’t see me, you still can’t hear me, but I’m still pissed off.




Song: Democracy Has Failed!



Democracy, my friends, is a joke
It’s a bag of greasy donuts and a 40-ounce Coke
It’s Taylor Swift and Kim Kardashian
Underwear worn as fash-i-on

We had a mighty ship of state
But now that ship has sailed
Take a look around you, friends
Democracy has failed

The people, friends, are a beast
For facts they care not in the least
Life’s a matter of team sports
The color of your cap and the color of your shorts

We can no longer fool ourselves
The truth has been unveiled
Take a look around you, friends
Democracy has failed

Letting the people decide is always a mistake
They’ll gorge themselves on grocery-store cake
The kind with cheap Crisco icing
Available for you at cut-rate pricing

We’re holding our breath, awaiting the worst
It’s time we just exhaled
Take a look around, you fools
Democracy has failed

No comments: