Monday, October 12, 2009

Today's Verse: 13 October 2009

I'm friends with the door
It won't shut me out
I'm friends with the floor
It won't let me down

I'm friends with the clock
That sits by the bed
Its steady tick tock's
Like a poem I read

Chorus:
I like my friends
I like them there
Whether they know
Whether they care

I like my friends
Like them alot
Whether they're good
Whether they're not

My friendship's a railway
With weeds in between
It bisects the forest
Dark silent unseen

My friendship's a country
Of mountains and plains
It hitchhikes on highways
And wanders back lanes

My friendship's a stranger
Obscure and complete
My friendship's in danger
Exciting and sweet

My friendship's a chain gang
Partners in crime
Entangled in mischief
Imprisoned in time

I'm friends with the losers
Who lose though they cheat
I'm friends with the bruisers
Who battle defeat

I'm friends with the lovers
I'm friends with the bums
I'm friends with the others
Who leave them the crumbs

I'm friends with the nigger
Whose secret I keep
I like the grave digger
Who'll put me to sleep

The soldier the preacher
The tin-hearted whore
We've been friends for years
We'll be many more

Be your own best friend
Psychologists say
Why should I pretend
Why put on a play

I belong to our friendship
It's not part of me
Without it I'm blind
Within it I see

1 comment:

JimPreston said...

Pretty catchy!!

What is concerning me lately is that very few people seem to get the Barry Whiteout joke anymore. There is cause for distress here, I can assure you.