Saturday, May 17, 2008

Witchenbye: Hotel

Jim, in about a month I'll be performing a tuba-n-text version of the section of Witchebye that begins, "This is Room 101.  It's bare except for the television screming in white.  It never goes off, just gets bigger and smaller" and ends with, "Sometimes you don't get enough privacy.  The sound of someone else shitting, or trying to come, or crying may disturb or arouse you.  Pretend you're not aware."  All performance notes gratefully accepted.

It is, briefly, quite hot here in Berkeley.  I shall have to open the famous skylight.
I've been reading Bolano's "The Savage Detectives", do you know it?  I find it suitably entertaining.
Oh and here is a poem I like by Bill Knott:
      Even when the streets are empty,
      even at night, the stopsign
      tells the truth.

5 comments:

Bud said...

Say more Mr Blood! Tuba n text sounds fine. I hope you'll be recording the performance for your fans abroad to enjoy. Who is the lucky audience and where? What kind of "notes" would you like -- something for a little "programme"? Also, what date? I'll be traveling to Geneva and Zurich with Jai for two weeks at the beginning of June (EuroCup). Hope to see Laco too. (I'll remind him of your request for Brothers Twain graphics.)
Of Bolano I read the biographical history of fascist literature in latin america or something along those lines. Very nice. I've read about the Savage Detectives, but have not yet bought it. Maybe for traveling.
Thank you very much Henry.
PS Saw the Tao of Steve on DVD yesterday. A St John's romantic comedy, how amusing - just what the world needs. Next, the horror film I hope.
PPS Also, "Witchenbye: Hotel" looks good.

J Blood said...

The performance will be on Flag Day as part of a tribute to Robert Rauschenberg I'm doing with my friend Dennis on guitar and two other poets reading (the connection to Rauschenberg is suitably unclear). I actually meant perfomance suggestions, but something for a little program(me) would be nice too, and of course in keeping with the multi-media spirit of the evening. If we don't videotape the performance I will at least do a fresh (home) studio recording of it--Witchenbye is always on my mind.

JimPreston said...

Bitchin'? Why?
Witchenbye!

et tout cas

Bud said...

How about closing with a solo tuba rendition of "In My Room"? Everyone likes the Beach Boys, and even more so in California I suspect.

J Blood said...

Beach Boys are from LA. Come on, now, that's like saying everyone from Romandie must love Yello.

But you're completely right about "In My Room"; it's a beautiful song. "Now it's dark and I'm alone but I won't be afraid..."