Thursday, March 22, 2007


My old tuba teacher, Sam Green, died last week. He played in the Cincinnati Symphony for something like 35 years, and taught at the University for over 50. His style was from another time: both his corny, nervous personal manner and his big, vibrato-heavy tuba playing. Yet he was the begetter of Blood & Stone, and anyone who knew him who would smile in recognition when I said I was one of Sam’s students. The cliché for an original like Sam is that when they made him they broke the mold, but in fact he was the mold.

2 comments:

RAM Aquaculture Station said...

I am a niece of Sam Green. I only knew him as a child and from a few phone calls as an adult. I remember him vividly playing tennis. I was also impressed by all the birds and squirrels that came to his window for a snack.

I am working on the history of my family and would like to post your wonderful picture of him to a geneology site. It is just the way I remember him. Can I use it?

J Blood said...

It's nice to hear from a relative of Sam's. It's entirely fine with me if you'd like to use this picture, but it's not really mine to offer. I think I found it in an online article somewhere after he died. I have only fond memories of Sam, and I'm certainly glad to share my affection for him any way I can.